0

‘Supernatural’ Santana resumes Las Vegas residency after stage collapse

Posted on: September 12, 2022, 04:36h.

Last update on: September 12, 2022, 04:36h.

Rock & Roll Hall of Famer Carlos Santana resumes his Las Vegas residency at Mandalay Bay on Wednesday, for the first time since collapsing in the middle of a show in Michigan on July 5.

His gig at the Pine Knob Music Theater ended on a chilling note about an hour later, when someone on stage allegedly asked the crowd to pray for the original Woodstock star due to a ‘serious medical’ issue. . The 74-year-old then waved as he was taken away on a stretcher. The crew members tried to block the view of the crowd with a black sheet.

carlos santana
Guitar legend Carlos Santana, shown in a recent undated photo, will resume his residency in Las Vegas on Wednesday, for the first time since his last health crisis. (Image: pagesix.com)

Luckily, Santana only suffered from heat exhaustion and dehydration. He was treated and released from the nearby McLaren Clarkston Emergency Center later that night.

Out of an abundance of caution, the guitar legend has postponed some of the remaining gigs from his North American tour with Earth, Wind, and Fire. However, he was feeling well enough to perform his final three shows starting August 24, 2022 at the Cellairis Lakewood Amphitheater in Atlanta, Georgia.

More serious health fear

Santana suffered a more serious health scare in December 2021, when he was rushed for emergency heart surgery to clear an arterial blockage.

“It was 2:30 a.m., and it felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest,” he told the Las Vegas Review-Journal in January 2022. “I think it was a 94% blockage in an artery. We fixed it…but they had to go with like a rope to keep things moving.

This forced the cancellation of Santana’s Mandalay Bay residency until the end of last year. However, as always confusing expectations, he was back on stage at the end of January 2022.

“The procedure I underwent was very, very serious and it took a lot of energy out of me,” he told the RJ. “I wouldn’t have been able to play like I’m used to, to present my music to people. I would be out of breath very, very quickly. It is a procedure that takes a lot of time. The body does not like anyone to enter it.

“But, luckily, I recovered.”

Santana is scheduled to perform additional shows at Mandalay Bay on September 16, 17, 18, 21, 24 and 25. Tickets are available at houseofblues.com/lasvegas/santana.